Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Year in Review: 2006

I would like to say that this year is mostly about work, professionally, and the end of another stage in my life, personally. Many new things have I learned, many more mistakes have I made, but if you ask me should someone (or something, or God) gave me a time machine to go back to the start of the year (or any time in the past for that matter), would I change a thing? Would I have made different decisions?

Not likely.

I am now at this point in time because of all the things that I did, at least from my part. Other people have also affected my life in many ways this year and they will still do later on. But from my part, I won't dare change a thing.

The next paragraphs will describe the good lessons learned throughout the year 2006 for me, I hope you will be entertained and benefit from some (if not all) of them.

It was a very good year, at its best. And it was a very bad year, at its worse. This year has been everything all in one. Lessons learned are mostly at the personal level. The professional side of me is only a mirror of what I am personally. I must say that I am beginning to acknowledge and understand my own self, and instead of denying who I really am, I am now still in the learning process of accepting who I am. This is thanks to a certain major event that took place in this year, probably one of the turning points in my life. What's the conclusion of it? It is still unknown.

The later part of this year was spent on trying to adapt to a new environment, a new situation and its many circumstances. New experiences are always good, no matter what. It is true that when compared to many other places, people (and myself also) tend to conclude that the standards of my new 'habitat' is of a lower quality than many other places (please note that I am talking in a general sense, I am pretty sure there are qualities belonging to my current location that can be said as better compared to other places, such as cheaper prices of books), but I live only once (assuming that there's no such thing as reincarnation) and any new experiences I could get my hands on I'd gladly take (provided that they are not life-threatening).

A good lesson learned about anger: don't hold your anger inside for too long for it will corrupt you later on. Find a way to channel it, and make damn sure the people to whom the anger should be directed knows about it, preferably later on after you cool down a bit. This is good for your soul, and people will respect and treat you better. Control, direction and moderation. Something that I am still learning, but experiencing it hands-on rather than reading or hearing about it can really open your eyes up. A person could not understand the true meaning of hot until he put his hands inside a pot of boiling water.

Love is such a tricky thing. (Warning: ladies, you might want to skip the next few sentences, they're harsh and for gentlemen only...oh well, I know you want to keep reading anyways...). Sometimes, it is hard to differentiate which one is in direct control of a man: his brain, his heart, or his dick. Sometimes, dick is very cunning. It befriends the brain, and fools the heart. How to cut dick off from all its fooling around? You can't. If you do, you have to relocate to Bangkok (ah, another stereotyping). Just accept it, and be careful if dick is trying to fool your heart. When dick befriends the brain, it can be good. It can be really good. But don't let it fool the heart. It gets ugly when it does

Don't be anal with your money. It is only a means, not the end. And to reach an end, there might be other way besides money. But if you do have it, and you want to use it for something, anything at all, then do so. Don't let it control you, though, and don't let other people tell you what to do with it. Your money is yours. Just like your life. Just remember that there are consequences for every action that you do, and you have to realize it and be ready to accept it. Bear in mind also that money has power only because it is people who have given it power. Realize this, and you can use it to your advantage, should you choose to do so.

Meeting new people is always fun. You get to see how colorful people can be. Whenever there is a chance to meet new people, do so. They provide you with entertainment beyond your imagination. See their facial expressions, hear the funny noises they make, see the twinkle in their eyes, watch them walk, watch how their mouth moves whenever they're talking or eating, notice their new haircuts, and many more entertaining tid bits. There are billions of people inhabiting this planet of ours. You won't get bored.

Stay in touch with friends. They will remind you of who you were, who you are, and who you can be. True, that there are many people in this world, but only a microscopic portion of them can, or will be, your friends. And (this is classic, folks), when you do find them, make sure you keep them. I think this lesson is worth repeating every year...heck, everyday.

Well, that's it for now folks! The 2006 show's over, everyone went home, and there shall be no encore for 2006. Let's play 2007's game, and we'll see what'll happen.

No comments: