Monday, December 25, 2006

The Christmas Party, Part I

"Would you mind being the searcher?"
This one should be interesting, but I knew back then that I was going to be the butt of people's jokes, but what the heck, the gal needed my help and I knew that I could make things interesting. However, before that I had to ask something, "Wasn't it supposed to be that guy?"
"That guy said no, he doesn't want to play the game...please, could you be the searcher?"
"Can't you find someone else?"
"No, we've asked, and nobody wants to. Please, could you be the searcher?"
Well, that's me. I knew I wanted to back then, I knew I wanted the stage, but if there can be someone else then that someone else should come first before me. Who knows, maybe he could be more entertaining than I was. That’s me, fellas. Confident, yet submissive at times. A left over from my dark-age era, when I thought all I could ever be was a nerd. I still am right now, deep down I could never deny my nerdiness.
But, there was no one else.
"Okay, I'll play the game."
"Great! Thanks, Arie! No worries, the searchees are all good-looking women. You won’t regret this."
"Ha ha ha, nice. That should be interesting."

Sheesh, really, I wanted to be the one entertained, but oft times I've found out that entertaining people makes me entertained. So, there goes nothing.

Oh, you asking what I'm talking bout right now? It's my project's Christmas party. What is the 'searcher' and 'searchee' thing all about? It’s called ‘The Dating Game’. And this game was to be played during the Christmas party. How this game is played, you pressed on? Alright, alright kids, gather ‘round and let me tell ya what it’s all about.

First, there’s what we call the ‘searcher’, the one looking for a date. Then, there’s the ‘searchees’, the candidates for a date with the searcher. These people (both searcher and searchee) are picked by the committee beforehand. Ya gotta know that the searcher and the searchees don’t know each other. Their identities are kept secret by the games committee (oooohh, mystery…). Oh yeah, ya gotta understand that we don’t call this ‘The ‘Gay’ (or Lesbian) Dating Game’. You, of course, know what that means. Ya dig? Great.


The place where it all happened...


During the game, the searcher is hidden behind a white sheet (in case you’re wondering, this is to hide the searcher’s AND the searchees’ identities from each other. Duh). The searcher will ask several ‘relevant’ questions, and each searchee will have to give her best answers (or him, for the female searcher). Whether or not the answers are good will be based on the crowd’s cheer. So, in the end, the crowd will decide which searchee is the best. Sounds interesting, isn’t it?

So, Friday December 8th came, and it was time for the party. Hard Rock in Manila ain’t so bad. But I must say that Jakarta’s Hard Rock’s better tho, in my humble opinion. Food ain’t so good, sushi they serve gave me the shiver. Y’see, I am crazy, I mean, KUH-RAY-ZEEE bout all things sushi, but them sushi they serve made me feel like I was in a cooking-horror movie. The other food was not exactly that good either, but at least they were better than sushi. The venue was a bit small when compared…

…fuck this shit.

I ain’t gon be talking bout them venues and food and shit. I’m gon be talkin’ bout the party, man, the party! So, there was the fabulous, United-Color-of Benetton MC trio. They’re all good, man. They’re all good. One of ‘em was really hilarious though. He got some pretty nice shit going on during the show. I should hire him whenever I need an MC here in Manila. Fun guy, really.

There was also the band. Three singers performed during the band performance, one of ‘em was one of the higher ups in the project. You go, pops! We dubbed him ‘Papa Noel’ during the show, coz his name IS Noel and also because it was a Christmas party. For youse who are in the not-know, Papa Noel is one of Santa’s many alias…he’s in many most-wanted list for having a toy factory in the north pole and causing all this global warming shit…I mean, shit dude, think of all those toys he had to make and imagine how much heat the factory emits…it’s all his fault, man…and think bout the rising water level. Where do you think all that water came from? Yep, North Pole. Anyways, it turned out that December 8th was also Noel’s birthday. Yeah, he got to blow all the candles and shit, dude. And it was great. So, now you know what Christmas is all about. Yep, it’s Santa’s birthday, kids! Yeeeeehawwww…rip those gift wrappings away, folks!

The other two singers are great too. A round of applause for Mrs. Cathy Kimpo for a sweet performance. She makes good MC and a very good singer. As for the other singer, let me describe her this way:

“Yo, pick up yer jaw from the floor.”

“Wha?” I said while wiping my drool away from all over my face.

Oh my God, the bitch could sing! And she’s got the face to boot, man! I was taking pictures and shit, right, playing my part as the documentary guy (when I was actually taking snapshots of all the hot babes around…well nah I’m just a bit exaggerating here…) and then she started singing and boy was she a knocker, man! Pretty face (she was the Indian people’s most fave bitch in the project, and I know for a fact that my team mate was on to her), good voice, butt like a dump tru…sorry, couldn’t help myself. I’m so in love. My friend musta been watchin’ me got knocked off coz she said somethin’ bout ‘blank face’, ‘jaw’, ‘drop’ ‘floor’ and ‘drool’. But I ain’t givin her a shit, was paying attention to this singer babe, y’see, she rocked! I’m so askin’ her out on a date (my team mate is SO going to hate my guts if I do that). And I’m definitely hiring her should I need a singer.

There was an accident afterward. The crowd made a VERY serious and dangerous mistake…


They cheered me to go on stage and sing.

Yeah, Imagine me singing...not a pretty sight...

Man, I ain’t know the song (it was ‘Closing Time’ and fuck I forgot the lyric), and well, one of the Sand Man (our nick for senior manager) practically kicked my butt and shoved me to go on stage. Sheeyittt. So I got on stage, and told myself “Okay, kid, just sing during the chorus, and act crazy in between.” And, this was probably one of the miracles of Christmas: they bought it! Shit, man, I sucked, but they liked it! All I did was sang the chorus and that’s it! Well, I probably danced, jumped around on stage, and practically acted crazy. Didn’t know what to say. Feels like thanking Santa.

And finally, it’s game time! I didn’t know who the searchee ladies were, but I had a feeling about one of ‘em. Tried chaging’ my voice a bit, giving it more of a bass tone sprinkled with some sleaziness (like, “Give me some luuuuuuuvvv, baybeh, Ah want sum luuuuuuuuvvvvviinnnn…”, something like that) so that they wouldn’t know who I was (later on they told me that they knew it was me cause they saw my shoes…sucks). But, hell, it was fun, man. Yeah, I became the butt of jokes for days to come, but at least I made two bitches happy. One was the one asking me to play searcher, the other one was the one searchee I picked during the game’s end (she got a sparkling wine for being picked by me, not bad eh?).

So, the party was awesome, we danced, discoed, sang until midnight and finally it was time to break the joint. And due to my performance that night, they asked me to be an MC for another Christmas party. Shit, ain’t know nothin’ bout being MC, I’m just a nerdy kid. Well, we’ll see in Christmas party part 2, shall we? (If I feel like writing it, that is).

No comments: