Saturday, December 16, 2006

Homesick

It was Wednesday, November 29th 2006 and after waiting for a bit more than a month since my last fly back, I finally get to go home again. We left the office during the late afternoon, me and a friend of mine, for Ninoy Aquino airport. Check in was a breeze thanks to SQ's online check-in facility, and the flight was uneventful (turbulence was a regular issue). Wanted to watch one of the movies they have for the in-flight entertainment, but after only about 20 minutes I found the movie to be a bit...boring. I couldn't believe it myself, Michael Mann's movies are usually cool but I couldn't help myself but feel a bit disappointed with his 'Miami Vice'.

My friend reminded me of something that I used to like doing whenever I was on a plane: watching out the window as the land, the cities, the cars, the buildings, the lights, grow smaller and smaller as the plane ascends. Looking at her looking out of the window reminded me of that. As she did so, I looked out as well. And I was reminded of why I used to like doing so. There is this feeling of peacefulness seeing the land grow smaller and smaller. Maybe it's that sense that I'm leaving my problems behind, all that crowded places, the dizzying pace of life, on the land, even if it's only for a little while. And I looked on until all I could see was cloud. Time to turned on the in-flight entertainment system. Oh yeah, Miami Vice was a drag...

The flight from Manila to Singapore took about 3 hours. To get rid of the boredom of a 3-hour flight, the good people of SQ provided us with an in-flight entertainment system. However, it seems that they did some changes to it now. Every time I tried watching other movies (yeah, was trying to avoid seeing Miami Vice), the movie, whatever it is, doesn't start from the beginning and the 'rewind' button didn't work. I seemed to remember that previously it was possible to rewind. Sucks. I didn't feel like watching other movies starting right in the middle of the story (thanks to Miami Vice for 20-30 minutes worth of boredom), so I instead decided to continue reading 'Teacher Man' by Frank McCourt, one of my favorite writers. By the way, any of you are welcome to correct me about the in-flight entertainment system. I might be wrong, it might be that I just didn't know how to use it.

Singapore's Changi Airport buzzed with activity, as always, when we arrived there. The place was just like a big shopping mall but instead of cars and car parks it had planes coming and going on the runways. Tried to check-in at the transit hotel but were told that all rooms were fully booked and that we might have to wait until 12 o'clock midnight (we got there around 10 in the evening) until room availability. So, we decided to use the 2 hours we had on our hands to go around and do some window-(and maybe some real)-shopping. Looked into one of the book stores they have there and spotted some potential reading materials, but decided against buying them for the time being. Gonna buy them on my way back to Manila. Took some pictures of a friend since the place was quite full with Christmas decorations. Ate midnight 'snack' at Burger King. This is a must, since they don't have Burger Kings in Indonesia, and the one they have in Manila sucks.

Midnight came, and we went to the transit hotel in Changi's terminal 1 to check whether or not there was any available room by that time. It was not our luck, there were no rooms available. We had to wait for another one and a half hour before we finally got a room for ourselves. Well, it was better than nothing.

Morning came, and continue the journey we must. Caught the sunrise using my camera when we were waiting to board the plane. It was a beautiful, peaceful, Changi airport sunrise. The world was waking up, and I was about to board a plane going home. A very nice picture, isn't it? It was. Beautiful.

A Changi Sunrise

The flight took only a bit more than an hour, and it was Jakarta again, at last, after a month and a little more than a week waiting. It felt so long, maybe because a lot has been going on when I was in Manila and that I needed to come back home and talk to people that matters most in my life. Jakarta, there I was, ready to meet my family and friends.

First order of the day that Thursday, November 30th, was to go to home, get changed, and go to the office in Jakarta. However, since my car was needed, to save time I decided not to go home and went straight to the office instead. Meeting friends and colleagues and talking about things that had been going on was fun. Found out that there would be more people going to Manila for the project. Things were getting more and more interesting now. Also, there were some administrative stuff that I needed to take care of at the office (getting new laptops, fiscal reimbursement, and the likes). You know, the routine. Errr...no you don't know. Anyways.

In the afternoon, went out to one of the nearby mall to meet a good friend there and had lunch with her at our favorite sushi place, her treat (thanks DD!). She also gave me a Christmas present AND an early birthday present...that's it, she made me owe her big time (that's another way of saying "Thanks a bunch, DD!"). Had to go back to the office to pick up a couple of things before going again to Senayan City to meet up again with Dide and to wait there for another appointment with an old ghost from the not-so-distant past. Friends been telling me that it was not a wise thing meeting the person, but I didn't wanna back off from it. It was just something that's got to be done. And it was done, got out of it, and that was that.

I finally set foot in my house after the whole day being in Jakarta already, running around doing chores, meeting good friends, settling old scores. My mother was still in her practice room when I came home, settling some of her usual daily administrative stuff after her dental practice was over for the day. Came in to the practice room, and gave her a good bear hug. Told her 'bout the things that has been going on lately, the latest developments, and asked her opinion on them. Had a good heart-to-heart session with her, as always. Met my brother and my dad, said congratulations for his recently-received professor title. Happy for him on that, I knew how much he wanted the professor title. Went to bed tired to the bones.

A friend from the office (that's you, BQ, don't try to whistle and pretend that you know nothing ha ha ha), asked me the day before that if I should go to Mangga Dua he would like me to buy something for him. So, that Friday I went to Mangga Dua. It is some sort of a 'must-go' thing whenever I was back home in Jakarta. New games, new gadgets, new stuff, new DVDs, you know the routine. No...errr...you don't. Maybe. Anyways, I went to Mangga Dua, met up with another good buddy of mine who happens to share the same enthusiastic attitude towards gadgets and technology. Bought what BQ asked me to, and got one for myself also. I love my Nintendo DS, what can I say? And personally, I think it's a better gaming platform than PSP, although when it comes to media, PSP is much better.

Okay, okay, that was my nerd side of me running away with the conversation...So, anyways...

Got an appointment with several friends in the evening, asked my friend MK to come along (the fellow gadget person) and he came along as well. It was quite...overwhelming, all my friends from different groups in the same place, sipping coffee and tea, having a great time. Felt like I had to be some kind of a moderator or something. However, it was a good thing they got the same chemistry so that it wasn't that hard to get the conversation going. Met a good friend whom I haven't seen in four years. Much has happened since the last time I saw her, but it's a good thing that our friendship has not changed much. She brought with her a friend who brought for me some kind of revelation about a certain member of my family and my family in general. Had quite a good conversation with her. Met a good friend whom I met originally in friendster, VN, had a good conversation with her also. And, as always, met a good buddy who's like a second brother to me, HD. And I was glad that everyone got along pretty well. Thanks for a good night out, friends. It's one of the best I've ever had.

Saturday, one day before I would be leaving for Manila again, I went to see VN at a mall right in the corner of one of Jakarta's busiest and biggest intersection. We went to my office for a little while to pick up something and then went to a book store in the Kemang area (by the way, thanks for driving me around, VN, felt like cutting my dick off for not being the one driving YOU around, but still thanks a lot, babe). Spilled the beans on the latest happenings in my life to her (instead of looking at the books). I hope you enjoyed that, VN. And also, thanks for the latest testimonials. Appreciate it a lot.

Guess where this is...

Got a call from BQ, and decided to pay him a visit later on. Had quite a good lunch at a cafe one floor above the book store. The food was okay, however had a rather bad vibe with one of the waiter there. Yuck. In any case, it was a good conversation we had there. Coming up next was going to a mall in Senayan to pick up DD. We went to BQ place after that.

Visiting BQ and his wife MA is always fun. It's always nice to see the two of 'em, a strangely funny couple, but easy on the eyes. They look very comfortable with each other, in a funny and good way, and I like seeing them together. BQ is quite the nerd, a gamer (just like me), yet his wife can easily put up with him and be comfortable. Can't wait to see their kids. Wanna see how they'd turn out to be. We don't exactly talk a lot, but I enjoyed being in BQ's company. We're almost the exact same type of people, him and me (hint: Sagittarius). He reminded me of HD in some way (mostly because they share the same enthusiasm in PC games). Thanks to BQ and MA for being a very good host. I will surely visit you guys again whenever I fly back to Jakarta. If you guys don't mind, that is.

Had to go for a dinner appointment with my dad (it was his treat, to celebrate his getting his professor title, thanks Dad!), my brother, HD, SV, and MK. Wanted to go to Ancol, but decided somewhere easier to reach. We ended up in a mall right in front of Bundaran HI. It was a really good dinner. Would really like to thank my friends for coming along.

Phew! That was a long entry! Met so many friends, met a couple of new people, faced something that I didn't feel like facing, and met my beloved family. The next day, Sunday, it was time again to say good bye to Jakarta. Manila (and a pile of work) was waiting. So, off I was to the airport once again. Once again, Jakarta became smaller and smaller and was finally hidden behind white clouds. Singapore greeted and played host for awhile. Got myself three more books in Changi, so be ready for more book reviews (once I'm done with them, of course, God knows when that would be...). And finally, Manila became bigger and bigger. Took my first step off the plane, and I was walking forward again...

No comments: