Thursday, September 06, 2007

Hong Kong, August 2007 (Third and Fourth Day)

This time around, I woke up first before my room mate did. Did the usual morning business and then went down for breakfast. This time, after the other swore off the hotel's morning buffet, we went together to have dim sum for breakfast. The dim sum restaurant was quite near the hotel, and it was along the way to the subway station. Very convenient indeed. As to be expected, the food was fabulous.

Ah...fresh trees in the morning

The group split up after that. The families opted to go to Disneyland, and some decided to go and visit some more Hong Kong markets. I decided that Disneyland didn't exactly scream 'Hong Kong', and opted to go with the second group. Was still in the mood to go toy hunting (Transformers Bumblebee, couldn't get that thing off my mind), so thought that I might have a better luck by going with the market-hunting group.

The Market Views

Since I have no luck in memorizing anything that sounds Chinese, I would have to admit that I could not recall the name of the first market that we visited that morning. But it has all the things that are unique to Hong Kong. Chinese signs and ads, old dilapidated apartments in the background, stalls selling cheap knock offs. But no such luck in finding Bumblebee. Along the way, some of the guys decided to go look for a place to sit. Conveniently enough, there was a small mall nearby, so while some of the ladies continued their shopping and haggling me and the guys went off to get some coffee and to rest our tired legs.

Everyone teamed up again around noon, and we headed off to our next destination: Stanley Main Street (see, I could remember it if it doesn't sound Chinese). Yep, it was another place with a market full of stalls selling cheap stuff and knock offs. No Bumblebees, but I got some unique souvenirs that were just right for mom and dad and also my brother. Those for my bro and dad were a bit more expensive and better since their birthdays are coming in September.

The Chinese Junk

Around this time I could pretty much sense the worries of some of my colleagues, especially my supervisor. Because I hadn't bought much stuff up until that point. I only have 1500 HKD with me when I came, and that won't get me much. It wasn't that I was stingy, it was just that if I want to get myself electronics I was pretty much more comfortable doing that in Indonesia. I go to places to see the sceneries and drink in the atmosphere. Not to shop. Unless if I could find something that is unique. And even that, souvenirs for family members come first in my priority (and believe me, I always had to drag myself when it comes to buying souvenirs). However, their efforts in pointing out stuff for me to buy is very much appreciated.

Stanley Main Street

Well, I finally got some things (the stuff for mom dad and bro), and I really hoped that that put their worries to rest.

One thing worth mentioning is that the sceneries along the way to Stanley Main Street was beautiful. We were skirting along the coasts, and the view there with the luxury apartment buildings lining the hills was beautiful. There were several beaches along the way, and in one of them we saw the Chinese-looking junk (basically a ship with decidedly Chinese-styled sails). It was just so Hong Kong. We also saw cable cars leading to Ocean Park, one of the famous tourist attraction in Hong Kong, traveling above the tall hill emblazoned with the Ocean Park logo. Too bad we didn't have the time to visit Ocean Park and to visit the beaches along the coastline. Next time.

The apartments lining the coastline

We went back to Kowloon after we finished with Stanley market (with my supervisor chiding me for not eating more than just a toast, hey I was full from the morning's breakfast) through the same route as the one we came from, but instead of taking the subway after the bus ride we took the ferry back to Kowloon. This ferry ride, in my opinion, was another unique thing in Hong Kong that I was glad I experienced. When I arrived at Kowloon's ferry terminal, another thing hit me: how our hotel was conveniently located. The ferry terminal was actually only within walking distance from our hotel, which is also not far from the nearest subway station. 19000 Pesos for plane tickets and 4-days-and-3-nights stay at a strategically-located 3-star hotel was really a good deal.

The view from Hong Kong Ferry Terminal

The view from the ferry

We took a rest for awhile, and then it was time for dinner. This time, the whole group went out together. It was interesting to find a restaurant with food and service so good in a building so dingy and had some sleazy 'establishments' on the higher floors. But like my boss said, there was food for the body and there was food for the soul. I couldn't decide which one's which. And boy was the food great! Guess this was one of the most remarkable things about Hong Kong. And yes, I ate a lot this time.
Outside our restaurant (notice the night club billboard?)

The night was still young, however, and furthermore that night was our last night in Hong Kong. Thus some of us, who were young (and who felt young) went out to Lan Kwai Fong (amazing, I could remember this one!), one of the night scenes in Hong Kong. After looking around at the bars lining up the area, we decided to settle down in a bar called Bulldog's (I think...). There they played one of the games that I really don't like: drinking game. It's simple, really, all you have to do is to choose a card from an upside down stack (so that you don't know what card you're getting) and put it on your forehead. You can see the others' cards except your own, and hoping that your card is not the smallest out of the lot, you pour your drink of choice (out of all the available bottles of drink) for the intended victim to drink in the provided glass. I just don't see the point, but it seems that my supervisor really wanted so bad to see me drunk. I entertained him by playing, but after 5 tries it showed that I was lucky. Not intending to let him walk away completely empty handed, I tried one drink that was supposed to be for another unlucky lad. Sure enough it got me tipsy, and for some reasons, really pissed.

Not fun at all.
The real reason why I remember the name of the place
After that, we had a bit of a midnight snack somewhere nearby. I was in a pissed-off mood, since I really didn't like getting drunk when I knew I didn't want it. Well, at least I wasn't drunk, only a bit tipsy. The whole affair was a disaster. I also didn't like the fact that they wouldn't let me pay more than 10 HKD just because I didn't drink much. I knew I could pay for it, and I didn't like it when some people cut me some slack. On certain matters, at least.
Whatever.
The Night Scene

Anyways, it was time to go back to the hotel to get some rest. The next day would be the day when we would be leaving for Manila.

Before heading for the airport though, we still have some time in the morning to do some last-minute shopping. I took that opportunity to try and look for a camera lens for one of my colleagues. Hendra, the pro photographer, was willing to accompany me and help look for it in Mong Kok. So, after our breakfast we went straight for Mong Kok, driven by the fact that we had little time before we have to leave for the airport at 12:45. After looking around at several shops, we finally found the lens. Wasn't easy to find, but was really glad Hendra was there to help me. Nice guy. Too bad I failed in trying to convince him to buy one of those digital photo frames.

That was the last of it, my romp around Hong Kong. The bus picked us up at the hotel at 12:45 and off we go to HKIA to finally return to Manila. I'd definitely go there again, if I have the chance (and if there's a bargain price for the whole ticket and hotel thing). To me, as an Indonesian, Hong Kong had just become the new Singapore.

1 comment:

Miss Lai Lai said...

Waaah!! Nice review Rie. Can I just copied your post for my HK trip?? hehehe! just kidding.

I didn't do as much sightseeing as you did, but definitely clubbing, shopping and eating were on the main agenda!!

Glad you had a good trip, but yeah, I hear ya..it's another Singapore - with more characters I must say.