Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Graveyard Shift...Again

It probably wasn't such a good idea watching a horror movie before you go on a graveyard shift.

Now that the security guard has turned off some of the lights and that there was no one around (except, of course, for the security guard who, no surprise here, was snuggling in his chair at the time of this writing and was about to produce an orchestra out of his snoring), my imagination started playing tricks on my eyes and my ears. I kept thinking I saw something moving in the dim room, or hearing some squeaky noises from around the corners. Kept trying to tell myself that they were air conditioner noises or just rats scurrying in the many nooks and cranies of the ventilation system.

Then again, I can't seem to convince myself.

I hate my overactive imagination...

1408 turned out to be a good horror movie. I was walking about Greenbelt 3 (one of the many malls in Manila) when I saw it playing in the cinema. Remembering that one of my friends had wanted to see it and knowing that I got nothing to do this afternoon except to wait for my nighshift to start, I thought that it wouldn't hurt to kill the time by watching this movie. And, just like I said in my review, I was pleasantly surprised. The aftereffect, however, was not pleasant.

What was that noise...?

Oh the security guard.

Anyways,

Yep, here I am, doing night shift again. The last time I did that was in March. Seems like a lifetime ago. Life's been a lot different back then. I was really happy at that time (not saying that I'm not happy right now, but back then it was a different sort of happiness, if ya know what I mean). My team lead is now on leave, so he asked me to sit in for him. From Manila. As he was working in the US, and that they need me in US time, so here I am working from 10 PM to 9 AM tomorrow (which is 7 AM to 6 PM, Concord USA time).

There are some good things about working night shift. For one, I don't have to worry about wearing formal clothing. Not saying that I'm right now sitting on this chair with my underwear only (though the thought is tempting), but let's just say that I am free to wear a more relaxed attire (changing my shoes to a pair of hotel slippers right now, actually). Another good thing is that I could take videos of the snoring guards, something that I actually did back in March. It was amusing, to say the least.

Man, the fact that one of my colleagues who could see ghosts told me that he actually saw two on this foor is not helping me at all.

Maybe he was just pulling my legs.
Maybe.

Why on earth do they have to turn off the lights on the hallway leading to the men's toilet...?

(a few minutes later)

*Phew* just got back from the toilet...thank God there was a security guard who happened to go there as well.

So, yeah, working the graveyard shift has its own perks. Bosses tend to be more lenient on you and your works, thinking that "Hey, give the guy a break, he's working the graveyard shift." And man oh man, for some reasons there are more beautiful ladies here in this building during the night. Hell ladies, where ya been during the day? Most of all, no one would be bothering me because, guess what, no one's around! That's why I could write this blog with almost reckless abandon...

...if only I don't have to look over my shoulders from time to time.

Crap, why is my cupboard making funny noises?

Anyways, I got my iPod with me (and if that's not good enough I also brought my hard drive with me) and my trusty Sennheiser headphone is ready to pump some sweet music inside my ears (and help me to shut out the funny noises). So, it's the graveyard shift for me for this week until Monday next week (that is September 10th).

Pray I won't see anything whose feet doesn't touch the ground...

No comments: