Monday, August 06, 2007

Still Alright...More Than Alright, Actually

Music Review
Alright, Still
Lily Allen

Every now and then I would find out about new singers and their debut albums. It could be either from a website, or heard about it from someone. I found out about Lily Allen's Alright, Still from a website called meebo. They have a room dedicated for her fans in there. Didn't know that she was a singer until I found her album accidentally in Amazon.com. Found out that she's the daughter of an actor named Keith Allen. Till the moment I'm writing this review I don't know who the fuck Keith Allen is, but what the heck I'm writing a review of her daughter's new album so I'm just gonna let him be for now.

Now, I don't usually give music review because to me, music is a little bit hard to explain. My opinion stands that people should listen to the music to understand it, but instead of giving only a one sentence review saying that "I love it, you might too, get this damn album straightaway', I'm gonna give it a shot and write a review that is at least 2 paragraphs long.

Done, it's more than 2 paragraphs now.
Kidding.
Some of the songs in Alright, Still got a quite a bit of a reggae flavor, which give a bit of a not-serious vibe to it. The tunes are quite playful in almost all of the songs, and Allen's voice has a bit of a witty, feisty, British accent to it. Add that to the fact that the lyrics are full of British-colored humor, the listener's in for a fun, playful, adolescent/teenager-theme inspired music. The theme might not be of the sunshine, happy day variety, but Allen carried the songs in a light-hearted, un-serious, and (I'm used this word again), teenager-playful way.

Some of my personal faves in this album are: Knock 'Em Out, a song about some guy trying to get friendly (and fantastically unsuccessful in his effort); Everything's Just Wonderful, a song about not being happy with the way things are, but couldn't help going with the flow; Smile, a song about having fun while one's ex is in a bad time; and Alfie, a song about a brother who's a pod smoker and shut himself in his room most of the time.

That's it, my first music review. A good album overall, if you're into reggae-pop, some light-hearted theme, and quite a lot of British playfulness. Lily Allen, I'd say that it's still alright.

No comments: