Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Remote-Controlled Life

A (Belated) Movie Review

Title:
Click

Directed by:
Frank Coraci

Writing Credit:
Steve Koren (written by) and
Mark O'Keefe (written by)

Cast:
Adam Sandler, Kate Beckinsale, Christopher Walken, David Hasselhoff

One glance at a 'Click' poster and you will think "Oh, another Adam Sandler movie." Just another movie you watch to kick back, have a simple dumb fun, preferably with a date. I was about to completely kick this movie out of my attention orbit until a friend of mine, whose movie taste is rather trustworthy, told me that this movie is worth a viewing due to its surprisingly good story.

So, armed with my multimedia control at the side of my seat (Oh I just love Singapore Airlines and its in-flight multimedia entertainment), I chose 'Click' from the available selection (making sure that I did not choose the Chinese voice-over) and just kick back and relax, trying to entertain myself with Adam Sandler's comic performance.

This movie took me by surprise. Yes, there are many funny moments during the movie (this is, after all, Adam Sandler's movie), however as the movie progresses, it changes its tone from a light-hearted comedy to a rather serious movie that reflects quite seriously on certain aspects of life. I must say that the writers did a good job to come up with some materials that people might take as light at first glance and turn it into something that is of a more serious nature.

Adam Sandler's performance is quite good in this movie. There are times when he acted just like a punk (a lucky punk in my opinion, to be able to play alongside the beautiful Kate Beckinsale) but there are times when he showed that he could play a character that is actually quite serious. Kate Beckinsale didn't just be in the movie looking all pretty and sexy. She actually played quite good as a housewife and a mother (after watching the two Underworld movies, this is quite an image change...hmmm...a housewife and a mother...). Christopher Walken played the character 'Morty' quite well in this movie, and that character is quite important in this movie. As for David Hasselhoff, well, let's just say that he's the butt of joke in this movie. But, he took it like a man.

I will not dwell into why I would call this movie as light comedy-slightly serious drama (I might wanna talk about it in a different blog entry), but let's just say that I myself found myself moved near to tears during one of the scenes in this movie. So, just give yourself some time to watch this movie when you have the opportunity (or if you happen to be in a 3-or-so-hour flight onboard a Singapore Airlines plane). You (and your date, if you happen to see this movie together with someone) might find yourself in a reflective silence a few moment after you finished watching the movie.

A good movie with a good story that has an excellent effect on you, spiritually.

1 comment:

Miss Lai Lai said...

This movie reiterates what one has said to me,

"Don't walk through life so fast, that you not only forget where you have been, but also where you are going"

Enjoy every moment of your lives, whether it's good or bad, coz you never know when you will experience it again.

P/S: Looks like someone's been busy watching movies and reading out there in Manila ;-)