Saturday, July 12, 2008

Take Control

Movie Review
Wanted
Director: Timur Bekmambetov
Starring: James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman, Angelina Jolie


Went to watch this movie with no high expectations. Only remembered some parts of the trailer, the most memorable one being where the main character shot a bullet that curved around Angelina Jolie's face and hit the bull's eye right behind her back. Thought it was going to be just another cheap Hollywood movie that's cashing in on the whole bullet-time effect made famous ever since the first Matrix movie. With a few twist, of course (pun intended).

Story's bout one Wesley Gibson (McAvoy), a loser in every possible way. Bullied by his boss, scolded by his cheating girlfriend (who's cheating with his best friend, to add insult to injury), he's leading the mundane life of a, well, loser. And, yes one could see it coming a mile away, things change and he suddenly realizes (forcefully brought to that realization, to be exact) that he has a great legacy and a talent that will lead him to a different path in life. With the help of Sloan (Freeman) and Fox (Jolie), he learns to make full use of the unique talent he has.

There's nothing much in terms of acting, and I don't really know how faithful this adaptation is to it's original graphic novel material. This movie is, after all, an action movie. At the very least in this aspect the movie delivers. Unrealistic is an understatement when it comes to the physics of the action (curving bullet? C'mon...), but then again it would not be much fun if there's no twist in it (pun intended, again). More than adequate special effect, intense shoot-out scenes, and an over-the-top car chase scene deliver the action aspect of the movie very well.

Another aspect of the movie that I'm quite taken by is the story and the plot. I am not familiar with the source material, but I have to say that the producers did a good job of putting the story together. Narration by the main character works well to deliver continuity and sense. And I have to say that I'm impressed that the people who came up with the story manage to deliver a very powerful yet subtle message regarding life, fate, destiny, religion and free will.

In the end, I would like to quote what the main character Wesley Gibson say: "Six weeks ago I was ordinary and pathetic, just like you. Who am I now? Account manager? Assassin? Just another tool who was mind fucked into killing his father. I am all of these. I am none of these. Who am I now? This is not me fulfilling my destiny. This not me following in my fathers footsteps. This is definitely not me saving the world. This *is* me taking control, from Sloan, from the fraternity, from Janis, billing reports, ergonomic keyboards, from cheating girlfriends and sack of shit best friends. This is me taking back control of my life. What the fuck have you done lately?"

He's DA Man.

No comments: