Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Enchanted Album

Music Review
Corinne Bailey Rae
by Corinne Bailey Rae

First heard of her in a compilation CD called 2007 Grammy Nominees. The song they put in that album was 'Put Your Records On'. The song started out relaxing and picked up tempo a bit during the chorus and throughout the rest of it. I was not deeply interested in her until, as always, I was browsing through Amazon and saw her album and realized that it's got good ratings.

Put it up in my list of albums to get, and sure enough one day here in Manila I was browsing one of the music store and found her album. Bought it straight away without thinking twice, especially it has a bonus CD with almost the same number of tracks as the main CD. Yep, it was a pretty good deal.

Popped the CD into the player and started listening to her songs. Seems like my initial impression of her was misleading, but only slightly. The songs in this debut album are mostly relaxing and only some of them are slightly up-tempo. Most have this dreamy quality in the melody. The mostly-love themed songs, the slow relaxing tempo, the dreamy and sweet characteristics of the melody blended with Rae's sweet and rather smokey voice made for an excellent chemistry. In other words, I'm saying that this CD is excellent. Excellent might not be the right word, methinks. 'Exquisite' is probably more spot on.

I'd like to mention some of the songs worth mentioning in my opinion. The album starts with 'Just Like A Star', a sweet and exquisite opening. 'Enchantment' is downright dreamy, one of my favourite songs in this album. 'Put Your Records On' and 'I'd Like To' are probably the only songs that are slightly up-tempo in the whole album. Not saying that the other songs are not enjoyable; they are all great songs and they are all as exquisite as a cup of smooth cappucino on a sunny and breezy Sunday afternoon. Which is probably a great time to listen to the album.

If you like sweet and relaxing music (with a touch of dreaminess), you can't go wrong with this album. I'm looking forward to further release from Rae.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ariee.. pinjem..pinjeem.. Kapan balik ke Indo lagi ?